Practice Self-Care during the Holidays
This is a special time of the year that you will spend with family and friends. You see people more, so that means you are inevitably more social and also during this time you tend to spend more of the green stuff. The key word here is MORE.
How can you give more to others this year if you are giving yourself less and less. The holidays are fun and magical, but they can also be stressful and emotional. It is easy to neglect yourself during this time of the year because you are fixated on making it special for everyone else. You want to make the holidays EPIC for your friends and family. If this situation sounds familiar to you, here are some easy ways to help YOU take care, so that you can be present(no pun intended ha!) and enjoy the “most wonderful time of the year”.
- Carve out a special time that is just for YOU-It doesn’t have to be long either(just 5 min). This is a time where you can be quiet, write in your agenda to stay organized, drink some coffee/herbal tea, set an intention, read, listen to music, meditate, get a Mani/pedi (guys you can get in on this one too), exercise, etc. It’s a time that is free of distraction for you.
- Aromatherapy- Smells can help soothe and calm(chamomile, lavender, peppermint). Light scented candles to add a little ambiance and extra glow into your day.
- Bundle up and get some fresh air- Go for a leisurely stroll. Takes some deep breaths in of the fresh air and feel it enter your lungs. It’s invigorating and wakes up your soul! Even better, try to go at night and take in all the pretty holiday lights.
- De-clutter- Make room for new gifts -yay! Donate to a local charity and clear some space. This can help de-clutter your mind too!
- Eat Well- Indulge in your favorite holiday treats, but plan healthy balanced meals 80% of the time(think lean proteins, lower glycemic carbs(stabilize blood sugar), fresh fruit, veggies(in season) and nuts(healthy fats)). Stay hydrated too!
- Less is More- Only decorate with your favorite things. Use more of the decor that has sentimental value.
- Be of Service- I know this sounds contradictory, but offering to help others , actually can get you out of your own head! (lend a listening ear, or ask a friend that’s hosting a party how you can help, or volunteer at a local charity drive or shelter).
Leave a comment to share how you take care during the holidays!